Breaking! Court Orders Suspension Of Kaduna Polo Centenary Tournament

0
142
President of Kaduna Polo Club, Suleiman Abubakar.
By KATO P. LADAN, Kaduna
A Kaduna High Court has issued a restraining order which by extension, translates to the suspension of the ongoing Kaduna Polo Club Centenary Tournament, which galloped off last week.
A statement signed by the Nigeria Polo Federation Secretary, Alhaji Mohammed Baba Kyari, made available on Friday October 19, 2018 said that an obligation has been placed on the President of the Kaduna Polo Club, Alhaji Suleiman Abubakar.
“Distinguished gentlemen of the press, this briefing is meant to bring to your notice that a court action  has been issued seeking to  restrain the President of the Kaduna Polo Club, Alhaji Suleiman Abubakar from organising any tournament using the name and trophies of the plaintiff.
“The registered trustees of the Nigeria Polo Federation filed an action against him in the case between her and him at court 11 High Court of Justice Kaduna in suit; ‘ REGISTERED TRUSTEES OF THE NIGERIA POLO FEDERATION VS. ALHAJI SULEIMAN ABUBAKAR SUIT N. KDH/KAD/1045/2018.
“This  has by interpretation, called for the immediate suspension of the ongoing Kaduna Centenary Polo Tournament,” it stated.
The statement titked, ‘ACTION AGAINST SULEIMAN ABUBAKAR SEEKING TO  RESTRAINED HIM FROM ORGANISING POLO TOURNAMENTS’ further said that with this, “the law places an obligation on the said Alhaji Suleiman Abubakar to stay all action pending the determination of the motion on notice.”
The statement recalled that in their quest in ensuring that the game of polo is featured by Nigeria at the Olympic Games as polo was then being considered for inclusion, they brainstormed and agreed to change the name from Nigerian Polo Association to Nigeria Polo Federation.
“We are using this medium to inform the general public, as well as the management of the Kaduna Polo Club that as it stands, the ongoing tournament is illegal and an affront disobedience to court order.
“We appeal to all sponsors and players who have already converged on Kaduna for the tournament, to take this court action in good faith as it was not done out of malice, but for the greater good of the game of polo,” it stated..
It assured that once the issues are resolved, they are optimistic that a befitting tournament would be staged.
“The matter has been adjourned to 31st October 2018 for the motion on notice. Any one that collects any trophy does this at his own risks since the trophies are subject matter of litigation,” it added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here