By KATO P. LADAN, Kaduna
The Kaduna State executives of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has discredited the directive of the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party which lifted the suspension of Senator representing Kaduna Central, Comrade Shehu Sani.
AUTHENTIC News Daily reports that while the NWC issued a statement signed by its Acting National Publicity Secretary, Yekini Nabena, titled: ‘APC NWC lift Senator Sani’s suspension’ earlier on Sunday that the suspension has been lifted, the state executives later issued theirs titled; ‘Shehu Sani remain suspended- Kaduna govt’ signed by Salisu Tanko Wusono, Assistant Publicity Secretary, Kaduna State APC.
The Kaduna APC argued that it would not sacrifice its unity for political expediency.
“The Kaduna State Executive of the APC wishes to make the following categorical statements:
1. The Kaduna State APC will not sacrifice its cohesion, discipline and unity for political expediency. We have waged a long and consistent struggle to uphold respect for the Party, its constitution, and party spirit so that this party can grow and fulfil the hopes that inspired its formation.
2. Therefore, we affirm the indefinite suspension of Shehu Sani for serial indiscipline and violations of the Party Constitution, and further clarify that the Constitution of our Party does not bestow any powers on the national headquarters to quash the decisions of the Ward, Local Government and State Executive of the Party. You cannot join the party at your ward level, proceed totreat the same party with utmost contempt for three years, then delude yourself into a belief that the national headquarters can now declare you a saint, and impose you on the state party!
3. The party shall support only those who uphold its substance and spirit, and it cannot condone the opportunism of people who having used the APC to get tothe Senate, began rebelling against it as soon as they got to Abuja. Article 9.2(i) of the APC Constitution clearly states the obligations of members.“Members of the Party shall be obligated to affirm the party’s aims and objectives and conduct themselves in a manner that shall not bring the party to public odium and disrepute. Members of the party shall also observe the rules and regulations embedded in this Constitution.”
4. Article 21A (i-xi) of the APC Constitution lists offences for which a member is liable to disciplinary action. Shehu Sani has violated several of these, before and since his suspension. We are not a party of anything goes! Shehu Sani is on indefinite suspension from the APC. The process for his suspension was initiated in December 2015 by the Party Executive in Ward 6, Kaduna South Local Government, which suspended him for 11 months. Shehu Sani’s indiscipline, his disrespect for the APC, and the whole notion of party spiritpersisted during the first suspension. Therefore it was extended to indefinite suspension, with the endorsement of the State Executive Committee of the party.
5. Since 2015, Shehu Sani has engaged in unremitting hostility to the APC, joining the gang-up against the party in the Senate. At the national level, the utterances in which he has ridiculed the party and President Buhari are well-chronicled.
6. In Kaduna State, Shehu Sani has since July 2015 opposed everything the APC and the government it installed has tried to do. On Security, Education, Law and Order, and Social Welfare issues, he shamelessly diverged from party position with an enthusiasm and recklessness that even the opposition parties in the state did not demonstrate. We recall the undisguised glee with which he denied Kaduna State the $350m loan the World Bank had adjudged the state eminently qualified to access. This loan was to help improve lives by building more schools, hospitals and vital infrastructure. We cannot sit with such a renegade except he can reverse course and ensure that we get our loan, among other conditions.
7. While on suspension, Shehu Sani joined Suleiman Othman Hunkuyi in an attempt to factionalise the APC in Kaduna, opening a parallel secretariat and claiming to have their own chairman. The Kaduna State APC swiftly defeated this attempt at factionalisation. We were dismayed that rather than promptlyapplying the provisions of the party constitution to punish factionalisation, the national headquarters of the party constituted a “fact-finding” committee.
8. While Suleiman Hunkuyi has left our party after trying and failing to destroy it, his partner in indiscipline, Shehu Sani, is desperately trying to hang in because he has sought, but not found, greener pasture. His posters are all over Kaduna without the name or logo of the APC, or indeed any party. Everyone recalls how he was the loudest of the irresponsible lot that over several weeksthreatened the party with defection, only to relapse into customary cowardice, unable to join his allies in carrying out the threat.
9. The Kaduna State APC issues this as a notice that we will robustly insist on our prerogatives. We will not indulge those that have betrayed our people. And we call on the national headquarters to uphold party spirit, respect its Constitution and avoid the appearance of taking loyal party members for granted, or treating traitors as heroes,” Kaduna APC said.
Earlier in its statement, National leadership of the APC directed the chairman of the party in Tudun ward and others to implement the directive with a view to complimenting the peace efforts being made by the national leadership of the party to bring back peace in the party in Kaduna State.
“The National Secretariat has received the news of the suspension of Senator Shehu Sani by the Tudun Wada ward Chairman and wish to clarify that the purported suspension of Distinguished Senator Shehu Sani representing Kaduna Central Senatorial District is hereby lifted and is confirmed as a bonafide Member and leader of our party.
“The Chairman Kaduna State Chapter has been directed to inform the relevant Ward and Local Government chapters appropriately, and also put the necessary mechanism towards complementing the efforts of the National leadership towards ensuring lasting peace and unity in the party”.
It will be recalled that Senator Sani had shunned the idea of defecting to the PDP like other APC National Assembly members following the peace moves initiated by the National chairman of the APC, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole.