By AUSTIN OWOICHO, Abuja
Peter Obi Support Network (POSN) has demanded for immediate sack of Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Yakubu Mahmood for undermining the integrity of our electoral system and wasting Billions of Public Funds.
The INEC Boss this morning announced the postponement of Presidential and National Assembly election despite multiple assurances that the elections will hold as scheduled.
The group who accused INEC boss of sinister motive asked other stakeholders to join the group and demand for the immediate resignation of INEC boss over postponement of elections few hours to commencement of voting.
The statement, signed by the groups Spokesman, Chief T.E. Ezeoke, said:
“This postponement is an embarrassment to Nigeria and all those who believe in this country. The pain and shame is just unbearable.
“Several people travelled to various destinations this weekend to perform their civic duties – many events were adjusted to ensure they did not clash with today’s election only to wake up and be greeted with this heartbreaking announcement.
“The financial damage is unimaginable. Enough is enough. Nigeria cannot continue to reward incompetence.
“The INEC had three and half years to prepare for this election and it has failed under Mr. Yakubu. With this development, Nigerians have clearly lost confidence in the ability of this chairman to conduct free and fair elections.
“POSN is raising the following posers:
- Why was the election cancelled after sensitive election materials have been deployed?
- What happens to the materials, will the materials be recalled?
- How secure are those materials?
- How is it that INEC was not aware of the “logistics problems” until a few hours to commencement of voting?
- Is INEC’s postponement of the election within the said time frame constitutional in view of section 26(1) of the Electoral Act as amended?
(The section provides for security concerns and natural disasters, where cogent and verifiable as only reasons for postponing election.)
- “Should Nigerians insist on the use of new ballot papers as the sanctity of the ballot papers are no longer assured?
- “Is the postponement part of a grand plan to rig the elections?
“We hereby call on the INEC Chairman to resign or be removed from office if he fails to do so.
“This is no time to shift blames. It’s simply a failure of leadership on INEC and
President Muhammadu Buhari who controls the security agencies. Same-day cancellation is the height of gross incompetence.”