By KATO P. LADAN, Kaduna
A total of five states will be participating in the Kaduna’s Strongestman 2019 second edition, billed for December 1, 2019.
Shehu Musa Suleiman on behalf of the organisers, Kaduna Film Academy disclosed this during a press briefing held at the Media Centre, Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna on Saturday November 23, 2019, where he said winner will emerge after five events, including trailer head pulling.
“This year, press conference is to kick start activities for the second edition. Last year, being first edition was a success.
“To be held next week, December 1 at the Gymnasium Hall, Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna. We are not expecting anything less than last year.
“This year, we are expecting contestants from four other states and the military,” he said.
Suleiman explained that the Kaduna Strongestman 2019 is for able bodied Nigerians.
“We want them to come and prove that what happens in US, Dubai is possible here.Number of participants so far 13, with five from outside Kaduna.
“We have prizes for first, second and third positions. Registration is free, it is open, but there is a level of criteria before we admit participants,” he added.
He explained that there will be lots of entertainment.
“We have musicians coming in from Lagos. We will take a token for the gate fee to control the crowd,” he concluded.
Contributing, Weight lifting coach, Usman Shehu Usman expressed optimism that next year’s edition will feature women.
“We thank Kaduna Film Academy for organising this. Kaduna is a pacesetter in organising this. We pray that Kaduna State Government and other corporate organizations support in making it successful.
“We hope in the future to make it international by inviting participants from other African countries,” he added.
Defending champion, Mr. Matthew Abuo in his comments, said that he is hoping to retain his title.
He also called for more sponsorship.
“With what I am seeing, it appears we have a long way to go. We are going beyond Kaduna and with more support, the sky will be the limit.
“It is surprising something like this is coming from Kaduna, so that other states in the North which is backwards in sports, can emulate,” he said.
On his preparations so far ahead of the competition, he said he has trained for one week.
“I was down with fever for about two weeks, but I have recovers and started training this week.”
Another organiser, Yusuf Stephen Bashayi prayed that the second edition will record tremendous success.
“We pray and hope it will be successful and we pray participants imbibe the spirit of sportsmanship.
“It would feature activities like pulling of trailer, weight lifting and others,” he added.
Also speaking, Ikedia Chyboy said that registration is still open for everyone interested in participating till Wednesday.
“Apart from this, we have other programmes for next year, we are inviting people from Dubai and other countries.
“As we leave here, I believe all participants should go and train ahead of December 1 opening,” he said.
Meanwhile, it was gathered that five events will be participated in are; 1. Trailer head pulling
2. Small vehicle, Peugeot 206 vehicle to be lifted 3. Giant caterpillar tyre to be rolled for 50m in two minutes 4. Bench press 140kg minimum 5. Squatting, clean and jack 160kg minimum