RESOLUTIONS OF THE EKITI STATE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL ON THE SPATE OF ARRESTS AND INTIMIDATION OF PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONARIES OF GOVERNMENT BY MEN OF THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE SECURITY SERVICES (DSS)
The Ekiti State Executive Council at its Third (3rd) meeting, 2016 held today Monday March 7, 2016 reviewed the recent State of insecurity and apprehension in the state against the backdrops of spate of abduction and intimidation of principal functionaries of the State Government by the DSS and noted as follows:
1. that four honourable members of the Ekiti State House of Assembly including Mr Afolabi Akanni (Efon), Mr Musa Arogundade (Ado), Mr Sina Animasahun (Ekiti West) and Mr Badejo Anifowose (Moba) were reported to have been forcefully abducted in the hallowed chamber of the House on Friday March 4, 2016 and whisked away to yet-to-be identified destination;
2. that the honourable State Commissioner for Finance and Economic Development, Chief Toyin Ojo was arrested and detained by men of the Directorate of State Security Services (DSS) on Monday March 7, 2016;
3. that all of them had remained incommunicado since then and the reasons for their abduction and detention remain hazy and far-fetched. It is however clear that the actions were perpetrated by men of the Directorate of State Security Services;
4. that the Directorate of State Security Service (DSS) was set up under the State Security Act CAP. N 74, LFN 2004 with the following responsibilities:
(a) The prevention and detection within Nigeria of any crime against the internal security of Nigeria;
(b) The protection and preservation of all non-military classified matters concerning the internal security of Nigeria; and
(c) Such other responsibilities affecting internal security within Nigeria as the National Assembly or the President, as the case may be deem necessary.
5. that none of the stated functionaries had been accused of any crime whatsoever let alone, those bordering on state security;
6. Council therefore resolved as follows:
(a) that the spates of arrest of the stated principal functionaries of the Government of Ekiti State will appear irregular, unjust, unwholesome and politically motivated to intimidate the Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Peter Ayodele Fayose who has become the lone voice of opposition to the APC – led Federal Government of General Muhammadu Buhari GCFR, President and C-I-C of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
(b) that the current intimidation is an orchestrated plot of the APC Government to overthrow the legitimate government of Ekiti State having failed to achieve its destabilisation agenda through the Judiciary and later through other subversive machinations including the use of brute force;
(c) that the Government of EKiti State had always fully cooperated with Federal Government Agencies notably the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) and indeed every other agencies that have visited the state to request for one information or the other;
(d) that the arrest and detention of the stated functionaries of State for more than twenty four (24 hours) is in breach of Section 41 of the Nigerian Constitution, the writ of mandamus, the African Charter of Peoples Rights and other International Regulations and Conventions on protection of human rights;
(e) Council therefore describes the current terror on Ekiti State as condemnable, malicious and manifestly undemocratic and therefore call on the International Community, Civil Society Organizations and all lovers of democratic ideals to prevail on General Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR and the APC –led Federal Government to ensure the immediate release of the afore-mentioned functionaries of the Government of Ekiti State with no further delays.